Thursday, September 3, 2009

Earthquake in Jakarta










A powerful earthquake has struck off the Indonesian island of Java, killing 44 people. The tremors were felt also in Jakarta. Earthquakes happen, because we are near the ring of fire.
More than 300 people have been injured and it is feared the death toll will rise as many homes have reportedly been buried by a landslide triggered by the quake.
More than 700 houses were badly damaged by the magnitude 7.0 quake.
The quake struck around 14:55, September 2, 2009. Its epicentre was offshore, 115km south-west of Tasikmalaya. A local tsunami alert was issued.
Animals are very sensitive so they feel the earthquake coming, but we people don't.
I was at school and was about to walk to PIE gym for gymnastics. On my way at the MS drop off point I heard a voice. "Stay where you are !!!", it said. I kept on walking, because I didn't know why we should stop. I didn't feel anything. At the gym I saw a lot of people standing on the grass, but I didn't know why they did that. Then I met my mom and she told me that an earthquake happened. In several minutes my dad called and he said that they had to evacuate, because he was in the 11th floor. Afterwards they had to go home, because aftershockes were expected.
I think that we were lucky, because it could be even worst when we would be closer to the epicenter.





1 comment:

Michael said...

You didn't feel it, though everyone else did! :-) I guess you were in a secure place, eh? I particularly liked your map showing the epicenter, just like you said, offshore close to Tasikmalaya. Your point about the ring of fire is right on for the first social studies standard about the environment. How about the second of people living in the environment? Your bottom two graphics certainly show this. Keep up the good work, Emma.