Sunday, October 25, 2009

21/10/09 Australia - Gunlom and Edith falls

I woke up early, because of the birds. I went down to my parents tent. We cleaned up everything from that tent and ate our breakfast there. Meanwhile my brother came down to eat with us. We all got ready to go and headed the road again. On our way we had to stop to turn on our 4WD, because we were on our way to a rocky road that guided us to a burned area near a waterfall. This waterfall was not dried out. There was some water coming down, but not as much as we usually see in Australia. on top of this waterfall you could swim. The water was more refreshing than the one from yesterday. I saw a 50cm long lizard. It was beautiful. Because I was hot I went into the water. There were no crocodiles up here. After the swim we went to town to eat something. We got on our way to an information center and bought more food. The city we now were in is called Katherine. The info center was closed and our tanks were empty. so we went to a tanking area and filed both the main and sub tank. We drove a small way to a camping area. While we were eating our dinner I saw a light and wanted to know what it was. I went to it and saw that it was only a candle. On my way to this candle a big bat flue over my head. It's wings were about 50cm long. It was beautiful and scary at the same time. I told it my parents and then went to bed. In bed I wasn't asleep. I still watched the bats and couldn't stop watching. This time my whole family saw them and then we all fell asleep.


1 comment:

Michael said...

Bats with a 50 cm wingspan? Wow. I can see why you stayed awake watching them.

I'm hoping you have some pics of this great holiday. I'd be anxious to see a map of where you went, Emma. Can you bring one in?

mjh